Home Care Services
HOME CARE SERVICES CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT OVERVIEW
California law established the Home Care Services Consumer Protection Act which, as of January 2016, requires Home Care Organizations to be licensed and creates a public online registry for Home Care Aides who have been background checked. This law is intended to promote consumer protection for elderly and disabled individuals who hire private aides to come into their homes and provide assistance with activities of daily living.
Currently implementation of this law is underway in the newly formed Home Care Services Bureau which will oversee the licensing and oversight of the Home Care Organizations, the application process for the Home Care Aides, and the maintenance of the Registry. The Caregiver Background Check Bureau will oversee the criminal background checks.
HOME CARE AIDE REGISTRY
This website allows Home Care Aides to submit an online application and payment to be listed on the Registry. In addition, the Registry provides individuals with the ability to search for a Home Care Aide who has completed the application and criminal background check process. Please note, for this search feature you must have the Home Care Aide’s first and last name at the time of application and their HCA ID/PER ID* issued by the Department.
To access the Registry please click the following link: Home Care Aide Registry
The Department has issued Written Directives to implement the law, which contain the written processes, standards, and requirements. The Written Directives have the same force and effect as regulations. The Department will revise these Directives as needed.
Please be sure to view the most recent version of the Written Directives.
- Version Four: Effective December 1, 2016
- Version Three : Effective July 1, 2016
- Version Two : Effective January 1, 2016
- Version One : Effective January 1, 2016
For information on the various application processes, please click on the following links:
The Department will be hosting stakeholder meetings. These meetings are to provide updates on the implementation process, seek input, answer questions, and discuss next steps related to the law.
Meeting materials and further information will be provided as each meeting date approaches. For meeting dates and meeting materials, please click on the following link: HCSB Stakeholder Meetings
For questions about the application process, the Home Care Aide Registry, or the implementation of the law, please contact:
The Home Care Services Bureau
- Address: 744 P Street M.S.T8-3-90, Sacramento, CA 95814
- Email: HCSB@dss.ca.gov
- Phone: (877) 424-5778 or (916) 657-3570
ITEMS OF INTEREST
- HCSB has a new toll-free telephone number (877) 424-5778, please take note!
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the implementation of the HCSCPA will be updated on a regular basis.
- Draft HCO application flow chart
- Draft HCA application flow chart
- Draft high-level milestones chart
- HCSCPA Fact Sheet
- Health and Safety Information
- To file a complaint of professional misconduct by a CCLD employee, please refer to the CCLD Ethics Helpline .
Note: To view our web pages in a larger font, go to the "View" menu item at the top of the screen and select "Text Size".