Welcome to the California Department of Social Services

Right Column

Orientations For Community Care Facilities

If you are interested in obtaining a California license to operate a community care facility, you must first attend an orientation. Please click on the link below that corresponds to the type of facility you wish to operate. Completing an online orientation is an alternative to attending an in-person orientation.

    For Home Care Support Services, including Home Care Aid information, by contacting the Home Care Services Bureau

Two-story house with a front yard

Which orientation do I need to take?

If you are not sure which orientation you need to take, please use the following list of facility types by program .

Child Care Programs

  • A Family Child Care Home provides care, protection and supervision to children (infant through school age) in the caregiver's own home for periods of less than 24 hours per day, while the parents or authorized representatives are away.
  • A Child Care Center is usually located in a commercial building, and provides non-medical care and supervision to children (infant through school age) in a group setting for periods of less than 24 hours. 

Adult and Senior Care Programs

This link provides contact information for the Regional Offices  and counties overseen by each Regional Office.

  • The Adult Care licensing categories include Adult Residential Facilities (ages 18-59), Adult Day Programs (ages 18+), Social Rehabilitation Facilities, and Residential Care Facilities for the Chronically Ill and Adult Residential Care Facilities for Persons with Special Health Care Needs.
  • A Senior Care license is required for a facility that provides varying levels of care and supervision to residents 60 years of age or older. This type of facility is called a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly, or RCFE. 

Children’s Residential Program

  • The Children’s Residential licensing programs provide short-term or long-term care for children who are no longer able to live with their parents or guardians. Categories include Crisis Nurseries, Group Homes, Small Family Homes, Foster Family Homes or Transitional Housing Placement.
    • For a list of in-person orientations for all Children’s Residential facility types, please view the  In-Person Orientations

Note: For this program, an online orientation is only available for the Foster Family Home license category. To obtain a license for any other Children’s Residential facility type, you must attend an in-person orientation. For more information you may contact the regional office nearest you. Please click on this link to find the statewide list of  licensing offices .

Computer Requirements

   Please do not use a cell phone, iPad, or tablet to complete the orientation. To view the minimum operating system requirements to take the online orientation, view the Operation Requirements